The Australian Government is considering legislation that would ban the most dangerous single-use plastics – and they want to know what you think!
But time is running out. Submissions close on 21 November 2019.
Use the form on this page to make a short submission to the Senate Committee looking at these important laws, in support of saving our turtles and seabirds from choking on plastic pollution.
Points to consider:
Tell them you support the Product Stewardship Amendment (Packaging and Plastics) Bill 2019 passing into law.
Tell them why you care. For example:
- Plastic pollution is choking Australia’s oceans and killing our marine life. We have to act urgently.
- Turtles shouldn’t be choking on plastic.
- UN statistics indicate over 3,000 marine animals are killed by plastic every day.
- I want our oceans to be clean and full of life again.
- We must stop plastic pollution at the source.
Tell them we need to urgently cut single-use plastics out of our economy to save the lives of our ocean animals. Ask them to increase the recycling and reuse of remaining plastic.
Tell them which measures you support. For example:
- I support banning the most problematic single-use plastics like straws, plastic cutlery, plates, and food or beverage containers made of polystyrene.
- I support mandatory recycling targets to cut waste.
- I support a Product Stewardship Scheme with binding rules to make sure packaging is fully reusable, compostable or recyclable.
Tell them you want all political parties to support this important bill and ask them to work together to tackle plastic pollution.