Turning the Tide Newsletter – Summer 2024
Recipe: Kane Pollard’s Mussel Tamara
Kane Pollard is co-owner and chef of Topiary in Adelaide. He takes pride in sourcing locally, making everything from scratch, moving with the seasons and wasting nothing.
- 200g de-bearded mussel meat (usually from 2kg whole mussels, season dependent)
- 350g bread and ends soaked in milk overnight
- 50g lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of dijon mustard
- ½ shallot chopped
- 2 cloves raw, minced garlic
- 100ml olive oil
- 100ml vegetable oil
- 50ml cream
- Salt and pepper to season
- Steam the mussels open*, pick the meat from the shell and de-beard
- In a food processor, blitz all ingredients except the oils and cream until smooth
- Slowly add the oils while the food processor is running, allowing to emulsify
- Once oils are incorporated, check for seasoning and texture
- Add a little cream to loosen the dip and assist with mouth feel, season to taste
To finish: Serve with crust bread or crackers, pickles and fresh herbs. Dill, chives and fennel tops work beautifully.
Specialised equipment needed: food processor; steaming setup.
*Variation: Smoke the mussels open if a smoker or BBQ is available.
GoodFish now has a cookbook! We’ve collated some recipes from our partner chefs from restaurants all over the country for you to cook at home. Some are simple, some are scaly, but all of them are sustainable, so download your free copy now!