Our beautiful Reef has just suffered its third mass bleaching in five years, triggered by climate change.
Amidst COVID-19, it could be easy for this to slip under the radar. Right now, our politicians need to hear that people care deeply about our beautiful Reef and expect them to take care of it. Will you call your local MP and tell them to pick coral over coal?
- To start, introduce yourself and let them know which suburb you live in.
- Tell them you’re calling about the bleaching that has been happening on the Great Barrier Reef, and you want your MP to protect the Reef.
You could let them know that:
- This is the most widespread bleaching event the Reef has experienced and is triggered by climate change.
- Reefs can recover from coral bleaching, but they need time and we’ve had three mass bleachings in five years. Our Reef hasn’t had enough time to recover.
- Right now, we’re on a trajectory for three degrees warming which the Reef wouldn’t survive.
- The solutions are clear – we need to phase out polluting coal and turbo-charge renewable energy. Australians are feeling the economic impacts of COVID-19, let’s make sure government stimulus packages include measures to employ thousands of people in clean industries like renewable energy.
- Ask them if you can count on them to pick coral over coal and fight for the future of our Reef.