The Queensland Government wants to know if you support banning killer plastics like straws and cutlery!
The Queensland Government has proposed new laws that would save turtles and seabirds from death by plastic, by outlawing single-use plastic straws, cutlery, plates and drink stirrers.
Get in quick, because feedback closes April 30!
To help, we’ve put together some suggested points consider for your submission – based on what’s best for our turtle, seabirds and whales:
- Tell them you support the proposal to ban single-use plastic straws, stirrers, plates and cutlery.
- Tell them you want them to ban other plastics that are killing our turtles and seabirds, like plastic fruit & veggie bags, heavyweight plastic shopping bags, plastic takeaway containers and balloons!
- Urge them to put the laws into effect as quickly as possible, and save animal lives now!
- Tell them not to exclude pre-packaged plastic straws and cutlery like plastic forks in snack packs, because they’re highly likely to end up in the ocean – hurting seabirds and turtles.
- Say yes to exemptions for people with disabilities, allowing plastic straws to be available on request at chemists, pharmacies or other regulated locations for people who need them.
You can read the full Queensland Government Regulatory Impact Statement here.