Join the Fight for the Reef
The Great Barrier Reef is under threat from the most widespread, rapid and damaging set of industrial developments in Queensland’s history.
2 things you can do
Donate to save the Reef
The Great Barrier Reef is one of the natural wonders of the world.
But it is under threat from the most widespread, rapid and damaging set of industrial developments in Queensland’s history.
The Queensland Government is fast-tracking mega port developments, dredging and dumping of millions of tonnes of seabed and rock, and encouraging a shipping superhighway.
The Australian Government has approved the world’s biggest coal port at Abbot Point, 50 km from the Whitsunday Islands.
It’s your Reef, but you’re going to have to fight for it.
Fight for the Reef is a partnership between WWF-Australia and the Australian Marine Conservation Society.
Fight for the Reef is working with the Australian community to protect the Reef and the $6 billion tourism industry and 60,000 jobs it supports.
The aim of the campaign is to raise awareness of the industrialisation occurring on the Great Barrier Reef’s coastline.
Specifically, the campaign seeks to:
- Immediately implement a moratorium on approving new development until a sustainable development plan for the Great Barrier Reef is completed.
- Permanently prohibit new port developments outside existing, long-established major ports.
- Ensure no dredge material is dumped within the Great Barrier Reef World Heritage Area.
- Improve existing industrial developments along the Reef’s coastline to ensure they operate at the world’s best practice standards.
- Limit ship numbers and anchorages and improve management to a level that ensures no impacts on the Reef.
- Invest considerable new funding in protecting and restoring key Reef ecosystem
It’s your Reef, but you are going to have to fight for it. Join our growing community of concerned Australians and help improve protection of the Reef. You can also let your friends and family know about what is taking place along the Queensland coast - the development has been so fast that people simply don’t know any more what is happening and where.
Visit the campaign website and join the fight www.fightforthereef.org.au/take-action/
Join the Fight on Facebook at www.facebook.com/fightforthereef